Sunday, June 7, 2009

Whale Tale

Went out surfing with some friends Wednesday morning before work at Kelly Ave in Half Moon Bay. The waves were so-so. A few fun waves but nothing to exciting going on. I was paddling back out after catching a little ride and one friend, Adam, was pointing at our other friend, Ed, who was 20-30 yards away and I thought I heard Adam say, "whale".

I paddle over to him and ask, "Did you say whale?"

He said, "Yeah, right over by Ed."

I looked over and sure enough there as a whale about 20 feet from Ed but a little closer to shore than we were. As we watched it looked like there were two of them, a bigger one and a smaller one. We figured it was probably a mother and calf. Oh and by smaller it was still huge. The part we saw was 15ish feet of it's back which probably put it in the 20+ foot range and the other one was bigger. They ended up swimming around us keeping about 20-3o yards away gently surfacing and blowing out of their spouts but not really splashing much. Once they were around us the moved in closer to shore again and seemed to keep heading up the beach. I think as we were leaving they swam back by but further out looking like they were heading back out to sea.

To top it off the night before I was thinking about taking one of my water proof cameras out but decided I would rather focus on surfing which is why there are no pictures of whales but I figured I had to post this story.

I have never seen a whale before let alone been sitting in the water right by them. It was crazy cool. Probably the coolest things I have ever seen.

No comments: