Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sick Sea Lion(s) -:[

Some friends (Eli and Todd) and I were meeting up to surf this morning. I stopped at one spot around 5:30 am to check it and it was looking pretty bad so I called Eli who was driving buy another spot that I thought might be good (it was) and said he should stop there instead of meeting up with me since where I was sucked. Then I left to check another spot on my way to meet up with Eli and Todd. When I was checking the other spot Eli called and said there was a sea lion on the rocks that looked sick and asked if I had the Marine Mammal Rescue number. He thought I had it because two weeks ago we saw another sick sea lion and I called the Marine Mammal Rescue. I gave him the number so he could call it in. When I got there this little guy was laying on the rocks not looking so good.


He was looking pretty sad but was still kicking and managed to keep an eye on everyone checking him out.


Right as we finished up surfing and got out of the water one of the local Marine Mammal Rescue people showed up to get the little guy. She had a BIG net and that got him all excited but not that much. She caught him with very little effort.

Click on the image to see it bigger (works with all the images)

And here is the hero of the day, Eli, helping her get him to her truck for transport.


Poor little guy stuck in jail. I hope he pulls through.

So this is the 2nd sick sea lion pup we have seen in two weeks. When I called the first one in the guy I talked to said there have been a lot of sick sea lion pups this year. He said they think the sea lions are having a hard time finding food. The Marine rescue lady was telling Eli the same thing. Bummer.

Update: Here is an article about the current increase in sick sea lions.

No comments: